Riva Acciaio Caronno Pertusella manufacturing unit operates the following facilities:
The first production plant to be built by Emilio Riva was completed in just seven months after the wheat was cut in July 1956.
The Riva furnace had a 20t capacity at a time when most electric furnaces in Italy only reached a capacity of 15t. By 1960 three more furnaces of the same size were installed. In 1961, at the height of Italy’s economic boom, the policy of expansion and technological upgrading led to the construction of a new, 50t furnace which started production in 1962.
It was in the vanguard of technology at the time and brought the overall capacity of the five furnaces in Caronno to 600 t/ day. However, the hallmark of this development was the installation of the first curved continuous casting line in Italy in 1964.
Riva Acciaio Lesegno manufacturing unit operates the following facilities:
The company was set up in Ceva, in the Cuneo District, on the 20th of April 1960, with a capital investment of 30 million lira for building a steelworks in Lesegno.
In that period of time Italy’s economy was booming. Domestic steel production had by then reached 9 million ton, however, the sustained demand required the import of a considerable quantity of steel.
In the early 1960s the process of industrialisation was in full progress. A vast shift of workforce from the farming to the industry occurred, with the ensuing migration from the countryside to the cities.
To prevent the depopulation of mountainous regions, the State granted contributions to enhance the industrial development in the so called “depressed” areas. With an investment amounting in total to 1,4 billion lira the steelworks of Lesegno located in the Province of Cuneo was built up, as a valid alternative to the emigration.
Riva Acciaio Malegno manufacturing unit operates the following facilities:
SELVA is the only company which, though fully integrated into the industrial and commerciai network of the Riva group, is not owned entirely by the Riva family, who hold a 43% in-terest in the company, the majority share being in the hands of the Gheza family, who founded it when the very first industries were being set up in the Valle Camonica area.
The Valle Camonica was already the site of ironworks in pre-historic times. Over the centuries it has become a sort of prototype of an “industrialized steelmaking area”.
In the first industrialization phase of Italian history (1885-1914), various hydroelectric plants were set up to exploit the many waterfalls of the upper valley.
Riva Acciaio Cerveno manufacturing unit operates the following facilities:
Right from its foundation in 1966, SEII’s history has been closely connected with the development of SELVA, although the latter was founded as a separate company in Cerveno later on, in 1980-1981.
SEII’s Cerveno and Malegno works were separated in 1986; the Cerveno works remained with SEII, which became a 100% Riva holding, while the Malegno works went to SELVA, Since then SEII has maintained its specialization in the field of highgrade long rolled products.
SEII products round bars, square sections, billets and flat rolled products are mostly used for forging, drawing, peeling and polishing and in the tractor-manufacturing industry.
They are sold on Italy’s domestic market, in Europe and the Far East.
Riva Acciaio Sellero manufacturing unit operates the following facilities:
In December 1969 the Bellicini family (already operating in the steel sector as a manufacturer of concrete reinforcing steel with their own company SIDERCAMUNA) started the excavation works for a new plant that was to be built at Sellero in Val Camonica.
By the end of 1970 the concrete reinforcing steel rolling mill was commissioned. Initially, scrap out of rolling and sheared slabs were used tough later on, rail-tracks would do as well. During the second half of the decade another rolling mill was installed to produce blooms and billets for re-rolling and deep-drawing.
In 1977 the new rolling mill shifted production to U-bars. In the early eighties the rolling mill which produced reinforcing concrete steel rods was made idle and the larger one was revamped to produce INP (and later on IPE) beams. In 1995 the plant was incorporated into the Riva Group under the “Riva Acciaio Sellero” denomination.