Iton Seine, Bonnieres Sur Seine manufacturing unit operates the following facilities:
In August 1914, after Germany’s sudden invasion of Belgium, industrialist Louis Piret took refuge in France, where he settled in the Paris region and decided to set up a manufacturing activity of his own.
He bought some acreage of land in Bonnières on the banks of the Seine and in February 1916 began working pack iron for the army. By 1918 the works, which was now called Usines Métallurgiques de Saint-Eloi had two reheating furnaces and two rolling milis. It was processing 60 t of iron a day and employed 200 workers.
This activity continued until 1956, when the establishment of the European Coal and Steel Community (CECA) led to a considerable rise in the price of scrap on the French market which forced the company to stop its former activities and replace them with a new rerolling process using dismantled French railway tracks as raw material to produce ribbed, deformed bars for reinforced concrete.
Gargenville, Alpa manufacturing unit operates the following facilities:
The company was set up in 1972 in the Paris region to produce reinforcing bars.
It has the typical layout of ali mini-milis: electric furnace; continuous casting machine for billets; rolling mill. The founding partners were Sovaco, the affiliate of Usinor-Sacilor (65%) and Otto-Lazar (35%).
The works was constructed between Aprii 1973 and June 1974, when the first cast was made. It covered an area of approximateiy 150,000 sq m in Limay-Porcheville (Yvelines), along the Paris-Le Havre motorway, in a developing industriai area on the Seine, where small ships and barges could be loaded.
The difficulties, however, were not overcome and in 1988 Usinor sold 51% to Riva.
In 1990 Riva acquired an even greater share, reaching 80%. The remaining 20% was retained by the Compagnie Française des Ferrailles. In 1978 the production of round bars for reinforced concrete had been 100,000 t. It has risen since then to more than 400,000 t a year.
Montereau, SAM manufacturing unit operates the following facilities:
1973 Willi Korf with the Société Métallurgique de Normandie (SMN) sets up the Société des Aciéries de Montereau (SAM) in the Paris region to manufacture concrete reinforcing steel under the mini-mills reference model consisting of an electric furnace, a billets continuous casting machine and a rolling mill.
At the heart of a region where both scrap production (as a raw material) and concrete reinforcing steel consumption were distinctive features, the plant could be accessed by road and rail networks and was linked to the river Seine.
In April 1975 the first steel was poured and shortly after the first rolling campaign took place. In 1984 the Société des Aciéries de Montereau (SAM) was handed over to UNIMETAL. The patent NERSAM was filed in France, the ever first four ribbed concrete reinforcing steel intended to enhance the behaviour of wire rods during uncoiling and finish operations.
Neuves Maisons, SAM manufacturing unit operates the following facilities:
Wire-drawing machines/Cold rolling
Having lost the ferrous basin of Lorraine with the majority of its steel industries after the 1870 war, France has to invest on new sites. In March 1st 1872, the Société Métallurgique de Haute Moselle is founded by a joint venture of 18 shareholders among whom there was Mr. Victor de Lespinats, a civil engineer of the Paris Mines.
That location was chosen because of the existing railway connection between Nancy and Dijon which linked the plant to the Eastern Railway Network and to the Southern branch of the East Canal, still a project.
The aim was to build a plant which would produce pig-iron using the ore which was plenty available underground the Haye plain. In 1874 the first blast-furnace was blown-in and shortly after a second one was put into operation.
Creil, Acor manufacturing unit operates the following facilities:
Storage sheds with 36332 m2
In 1985 out of a former artisan iron wire-rod and nails workshop Messrs. Guttin et Ladois set up a plant which in 1885 would be further expanded by Messrs de Hennau, an engineer at the Ecole Centrale des Arts et Manufactures.
1897 The plant evolved into the “Società per Azioni des Forges, Tréfilerie et Pointerie de Creil” with a diversified output of steel products : wire-rod, peeled and annealed, galvanized, tin and nichel plated steels, iron nails, rivets.
In 1920 the De Wendel Group acquired the plant and expanded the whole of wire-rod related activities.
Vauvert, Acor manufacturing unit operates the following facilities:
Storage sheds with 10.000 m2
1970 TREFILUNION, a SACILOR affiliate, sets up new facilities at Vauvert to produce electrical welded mesh. The plant was established in a region mostly geared to wine production and that could be accessed by a private railway connection.
The location was chosen due to many factors such as the booming large yards on the Mediterranean coast like the La Grande Motte at Port Camargue and the already existing industrial installations nearby.
1986 All the sites that produced electro-welded mesh and concrete reinforcing steel were grouped under a single legal entity, ACOR.
St. Just St. Rambert, Acor manufacturing unit operates the following facilities:
Works area of 55000 m2
Storage sheds with 6600 m2
1983 Joannès Gapiand establishes at St. Rambert an artisan enterprise to build enclosures (known as “barrieres châtaignier” in French) made of wooden planks bound together with galvanized steel wire.
1920 The company settles at St. Just – a place that nowadays forms one single municipality with St. Rambert altogether – to develop drawing processes ultimately dedicated to manufacture drawn steel products.
In 1960 the new production of concrete reinforcing electrical welded mesh was started and the Gapiand plants take on the denomination of “Tréfileries du Sud-Est (T.S.E.)”.