Fontaine l’Eveque manufacturing unit operates the following facilities:
The plant was established way back in 1898 as “La Fontainoise” to produce nails out of drawn rods. La Fontainoise was merged in 1953 into the “Forges de la Providence” continuing the production of nails.
In 1967 the company was handed over to Cokerill and then to Bekaert and then back again to Cockerill. In 1978 always within the Cockerill Group the company Tréfileries de Fontaine l’Eveque (TFE) was established to manufacture electro-welded mesh, cold drawn wire rod in coils and the patent product “oblifors” (concrete reinforcing steel for road pavements). Five mesh-welding machines were installed to produce about 15.000 tons per year.
Charleroi manufacturing unit operates the following facilities:
In the middle of the eighteenth century iron ore deposits we found in the Charieroi region of Belgium.
A blast furnace was built in Thy-le-Chàteau in 1763, operating on the charcc produced from the nearby woods.
The river Thyria suppliti the necessary power. Thus, the Forges et Fonderies de Thy-le-Chàteau were established. In 1845 the Forges was taken over by Eugène Riche & Ci the company in charge of the railway line linking Charler and Vireux.